Safe Return to Sports and Prevention of Re-injury for Young Athletes
The growth of sports participation by young athletes has led to an overwhelming increase in sports- related injuries. Insurance companies are pushing for earlier discharge from rehabilitation, placing physical therapists (PTs) at a disadvantage when planning and implementing a safe return to sports in the advanced stages of recovery. Better rehabilitation strategies are needed to accommodate to the changing health care environment. In this session, the speakers will present a proposed innovative ACO model to accommodate the gap that currently exists between typical patient/client discharge to return to sports in an effort to prevent re-injury and promote a lifetime of sports participation.
cert_Insert Up To
cert_NV credit value
cert_OH approval code
cert_PA DA hours
cert_PA Ethics hours
cert_PA Gen hours
- Analyze and synthesize the current data regarding youth sports and prevalence of ACL injuries.
- Discuss the implications of youth ACL injury on long-term sports participation and functional outcomes.
- Identify and review the anatomical structures, biomechanics, and functional norms of the knee joint.
- Identify and discuss the most common mechanisms of ACL injury in youth sports.
- Identify and discuss the medical management of ACL tears in young athletes.
- Discuss the role of the physical therapists as part of an inter-professional team member in the rehabilitation of ACL injuries in youth sports.
- Discuss and synthesize a patient/client management model for ACL reconstruction based on current research evidence with recent advances in rehabilitation.
- Discuss research evidence and issues which impact the quality of care and rehabilitation outcomes of the pediatric athlete following ACL reconstruction.
- Analyze and synthesize current research evidence on ACL return to sports criteria and injury prevention programs.
- Introduce, discuss, and analyze a proposed ACO model for the young athlete with ACL injury: from diagnosis to return to sports.
- Identify areas for future research as it pertains to the rehabilitation of sports injuries and the prevention of re-injury in the pediatric population.
Brought to you by
|2||Assessment_Safe Return to Sports|
- Non Member$125.00(until 12/31/2030)
- Member$75.00(until 12/31/2030)