Early Intervention Post-Hospital Discharge for Infants Born Preterm
This module will provide the participant with relevant findings within a contemporary systematic review, which addresses cognitive and motor outcomes for premature infants who receive early intervention services following discharge from the hospital. The review examines cognitive and motor outcomes in infancy, during the preschool ages (3-5 years) and at school age (5 to 18 years and older), with further analysis looking at the results for children whose intervention model was based on infant development only, parent-infant relationship only, or combined both, infant development and the parent-infant relationship. In addition, contemporary practice parameters and strategies for implementation of a parent-infant focused early intervention program are assessed through practical application in a case study. This case provides guidelines for developing and implementing an early intervention program that not only incorporates, but emphasizes the importance of the parent-infant relationship in the development of cognitive and motor skills in children born preterm.
cert_Insert Up To
cert_NV credit value
cert_OH approval code
cert_PA DA hours
cert_PA Ethics hours
cert_PA Gen hours
- List five impairments related to preterm birth.
- List the three goals of the Early Intervention (EI) program implementation after discharge.
- Describe a clinical/practical example of a program focused on: “infant development only,” “parent-infant relationship only,” and “combined programs.”
- Develop a mini-assessment using the ICF model for a familiar child, incorporating at least one characteristic in each area (health condition, family goal, body structure and function, activity and participation, personal factors, environmental factors).
- Discuss the findings of this review as it pertains to contemporary practice.
- Develop at least three treatment strategies using the “combined” model for a familiar child seen in clinical practice.
Brought to you by
|2||Assessment_Early Intervention Article|
- Non Member$100.00(until 12/31/2030)
- Member$60.00(until 12/31/2030)