Using Aquatic Interventions for Functional Improvements in the Older Adult Client
All too often aquatic therapy and exercise has been relegated to a secondary role when considering functional training for a wide spectrum of older adults. Due in part, to the fact the there is a paucity of literature addressing this topic as well as the mere fact that humans live on land, water therapies have been considered to have limited benefit in addressing either maintenance of or improvement of functional skills. This webinar will define specific, simple functional activities that are within the repertoire of the modern-day older adult. Using objective measures to quantify improvement, this webinar will demonstrate progressions for each skill set. Lastly, there will be a discussion of current literature addressing the use of aquatic interventions to upgrade land function.
Meet our Speaker
Marty Biondi, PT, DPT, CSCS, CEEAA, Marty is currently a part-owner of an out-patient physical therapy clinic in northern Illinois and has been involved in various areas of aquatics for more than 40 years. Currently, her interests—aside from her passion for aquatics-- is in quantifying the benefits of aquatic interventions, specifically with respect to the older adult. At present she is involved in a long-term research project to demonstrate that water does positively impact function.
cert_Insert Up To
cert_OH approval code
cert_PA DA hours
cert_PA Ethics hours
cert_PA Gen hours
- Identify key components of physical decline in community dwelling older adults that negatively impact function.
- Describe appropriate standardized testing to quantify specific areas of physical decline for which physical therapy intervention is most appropriate.
- Explain the benefits of aquatic interventions relative to the physical decline that can occur with age.
- Identify accurate aquatic progressions that promote positive functional changes in the older adult population
- Discuss when it is appropriate to transition from water to land to facilitate efficient physical upgrades that affect daily function.
Sponsored by logo
Brought to you by
|1||Weibnar_Using Aquatic Interventions.mp4|
- Non Member$120.00(until 12/31/2030)
- Member$80.00(until 12/31/2030)
- Aquatics$60.00(until 12/31/2030)