The “D” Words: Depression, Delirium and Dementia in the Home Health Patient
This is an elective course in the Advanced Competency in Home Health program for Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants. However, any registrant may participate in this course for credit and you are not required to participate in the Advanced Competency program in order to complete this course.
Physical therapists and physical therapist assistants practicing in the home health setting commonly encounter patients with cognitive impairment either as a primary or secondary diagnosis. This course provides a comprehensive overview of depression, delirium, and dementia, with an emphasis on differentiating among these cognitive impairments. Ms. Childers also provides evidence-based physical therapy interventions for these patients for improved outcomes.
Meet our course author:
Christine Childers, PT, MS, Board Certified Clinical Specialist in Geriatric Physical Therapy, received her bachelor’s degree in Physiotherapy from the University of East Anglia, England. In 1998 she moved, with her husband then serving in the USAF, to Utah where she became licensed to practice in the US. During their 8 years in SLC, Utah Chris practiced in the skilled nursing arena and in 2005 she gained her MS in Gerontology from the University of Utah the same year she became a board certified Geriatric Clinical Specialist. In 2006 she moved to California, again working in the skilled nursing arena until she transitioned into the academic setting in 2012, working as an assistant professor for the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences. Teaching full-time she maintains her clinical skills through home health visits. Chris recently completed a four-year term serving on the Geriatric specialty council of the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialist and continues her relationship with them as a content expert for the specialty examination. She is currently working on her PhD in Health Psychology from Walden University and has completed the certificate of Advanced Competency in Home Health.
cert_Insert Up To
Upon completing this online module, the participant will be able to perform the following:
- Describe typical age-related changes in cognition
- Differentiate, compare and contrast depression, dementia, delirium, and other cognitive impairments
- Compare and contrast Alzheimer's, Lewy body, and vascular dementia
- Describe medical interventions for cognitive diagnosis
- Justify physical therapy for individuals with cognitive diagnosis
- Develop appropriate plan of care, and interventions utilizing suitable outcome measures, for cognitive diagnosis in the home setting
Sponsored by logo
Brought to you by
|1||The D Words.mp4|
- Non Member$100.00(until 12/31/2030)
- Member$60.00(until 12/31/2030)
- Home Health$54.00(until 12/31/2030)