Teaching Clinical Reasoning: Lessons Learned in Medical Education
This course provides foundational, theoretical and practice-based CR strategies for teaching and learning educators along the entire continuum of professional practice, from entry-level DPT, through residency/fellowships and for the life long learning professional. Dr. Steven J. Durning, MD, PhD shares his expertise in this recorded discussion-based lecture at the Inaugural APTA Education Section, Clinical Reasoning Symposium held at Creighton University.
Meet our Speaker
Steven J. Durning, MD, PhD is a professor of medicine and pathology at the Uniformed Services University (USU). He received his MD degree from the University of Pittsburgh and he practices general internal medicine. He received his PhD from Maastricht University, which addressed the influence of contextual factors on clinical reasoning. Dr Durning currently oversees a second year medical student course on clinical reasoning. In addition to serving as a course director, he is the director of the newly established Masters and PhD in Health Professions Education at USU and is the principal investigator of USU's Long Term Career Outcome Study. Dr Durning serves on a number of national and international organizations and research interests include clinical reasoning and assessment.
cert_Insert Up To
cert_NV credit value
cert_OH approval code
cert_PA DA hours
cert_PA Ethics hours
cert_PA Gen hours
- Share common Clinical Reasoning definitions and distinctions with respect to terminology.
- Analyze four lessons learned from Clinical Reasoning pioneers in ‘medical education’
- Describe common challenges incorporating Clinical Reasoning with teaching from classroom to clinic to residency/fellowships.
- Understand 3 Key periods with respect to the historical maturation of clinical reasoning in ‘medical education’
- Reflect on discussions shared by contemporary educators in physical therapy.
Sponsored by logo
Brought to you by
- Non Member$100.00(until 12/31/2030)
- Member$60.00(until 12/31/2030)
- Education$54.00(until 12/31/2030)