Academy of Education: Utilizing A Brief Training Module to Orient First Time Clinical Instructors to Clinical Expectations
Through discussion during Clinical Education Special Interest Group (PTA CE SIG) meetings, it was apparent that clinical instructors (CIs) serve as an extension of the academic faculty and that there is a lack of formally trained CIs. Studies have shown that there is not only a need for early and ongoing communication between academic faculty and CIs, but also a need for some training to guide novice CIs through the clinical expectations and processes. Authors have discussed that not all Credentialed Clinical Instructor Program (CCIP) components are needed to meet the needs of today’s CI. The dilemma is that CIs are expected to have minimum requirements and the CCIP program is voluntary, not mandatory. In order to close this gap between CI training and novice CI expectations, we developed a brief training module to guide novice CIs in the processes of orientation, feedback, student/site visit expectations, assessment tool use and grading, and the importance of unique exposures during the clinical experiences. Implementation of this training module is in its early stages. We intend to develop a future survey of CIs that will help to clarify and determine the usefulness and any modifications that may be needed to the training module.
1. Explain the importance of early and ongoing communication between academic faculty and first-time clinical instructors (CIs).
2. Design a brief training module for first time clinical instructors addressing expectations of clinical experiences.
3. Describe how implementation of a brief training module is useful to bridge the gap between CI training and novice CI expectations.
- Click on the Contents tab to watch the course recording.
- Click the Take Quiz button to complete the assessment. Learners will have 3 attempts to pass and must answer at least 70% of questions correctly.
- Click Fill Out Survey under the Evaluation listing to provide valuable course feedback. Scroll down on all questions as there may be answer options that expand past the size of the window.
- Click the View/Print Your Certificate button under the Certificate listing. You can view/print your certificate at any time by visiting the APTA Learning Center and clicking the CEU Certificate/Transcript link on the left-hand side of the page.
For assistance logging in, accessing activities, claiming credit, or for other questions or concerns, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Access Date||Quiz Result||Score||Actions|